Central Mcdougall Homes For Sale

Learn more about Central Mcdougall Homes for Sale by browsing the Edmonton MLS listings.  To see all area homes for sale, click Central Mcdougall MLS Listings. To view homes in the Central Mcdougall Subdivision, contact the Haven Real Estate Team.

Consider reading about Buying a Home, studying our Expert Guide for Home Buyers, or learning about Buyer's Agency.  You can also perform an Advanced MLS® Search, find a home using the MLS® Map Search, or read about other Homes for Sale in Edmonton. Read our blog to find Current Events, or browse information about Schools and Community Information.

Go back to: Central Edmonton homes for sale

20 Properties

Edmonton was experiencing a real estate boom in 1912. After paving two kilometres of Portage (Kingsway) Avenue, the Hudson Bay Company offered for sale a portion of its vast landholdings in Central McDougall. The boom came to an end soon after, and many subdivisions sat empty for years. In 1915, the Prince of Wales Armoury was completed. Later on, the structure hosted not just military groups, but also cadets and other organizations. In 1923, the Central McDougall Community League was established.

The majority of Central McDougall had been constructed by the 1950s, and it was being redeveloped by the 1960s. Many single-family homes have been replaced by low-rise apartments south of 108 Avenue, and commercial land uses have grown across the neighbourhood. The downtown warehouse district has resulted in a limited quantity of industrial land in the blocks immediately north of the 105 Avenue properties the result of the warehouse district in downtown spilling into the neighbourhood. A substantial percentage of the neighbourhood's institutional land is taken up by two schools and the Royal Alexandra Hospital. 

John Alexander McDougall (1854-1928), an early Edmonton merchant, real estate developer, and city mayor, is remembered in this neighbourhood (1908). He was also a member of the University of Alberta's Senate and an MLA. McDougall moved to Edmonton in 1879 after being born in Ontario. On Jasper Avenue, he opened the first general shop, which is now a replica in Fort Edmonton Park. Between 111 Avenue and 105 Avenue, between 101 Street and 109 Street, is Central McDougall. The north part of the neighbourhood is divided by Kingsway Avenue.