Strathcona County Acreages For Sale
Learn about Strathcona County Homes for Sale near Edmonton, Alberta. One of the most popular destinations in all of Edmonton, Strathcona County attracts home buyers because of the excellent school system, the tree-lined streets, and the tasteful variety of architecture found in the area. Acreages in Strathcona County feature spacious lots, unique homes, and a quiet community feel. You can search the Edmonton MLS Listings for other Strathcona County homes for sale.
Consider reading about Buying a Home, studying our Expert Guide for Home Buyers, or learning about Buyer's Agency. You can also perform an Advanced MLS® Search, find a home using the MLS® Map Search, or read about other Homes for Sale in Edmonton. Read our blog to find Current Events, or browse information about Schools and Community Information.
Go back to: Edmonton Acreages for sale
Strathcona County's history depicts how people lived in this Western Canadian prairie terrain, from the first known traces of the First Nations people through the construction of Sherwood Park.
The Cooking Lake Moraine, also known as the Beaver Hills (amisk-wa-chi in Cree), was formed by the last glacial retreat about 12,000 years ago.
The Cooking Lake moraine, with its rolling-hill terrain (commonly referred to as knob and kettle), gravel deposits, and rich black loam soils, was formed by glaciers. The marshes, lakes, and dry mixed-wood Boreal forest that resulted provided an ideal home for a wide range of plants, mammals, fish, and birds.
This land has been the traditional domain of First Nations people for thousands of years. The Beaver Indians (Sarcee) arrived at than 300 years ago from north of the Peace River, according to archaeological evidence. The Eastern Woodland Cree soon followed, in search of more plentiful food and nicer furs to trade with Eastern Canada's white merchants and the Hudson's Bay Company. The outcome was the development of Edmonton House, the main fur trading post in western Rupert's Land, on the outskirts of the Beaver Hills.
In 1867, Canada became a self-governing country. When the Hudson Bay Company surrendered its rights to Rupert's Land to the Dominion of Canada in 1870, the government set out to develop the land and connect the province from coast to coast.
In 1874, the North West Mounted Police arrived in Edmonton, and the following year, they were formed at Fort Saskatchewan. People began to arrive from all around to stake their claim to land now that law and order had been established and the promise of a railway had been made.
In 1883, the Clover Bar Colonization Company (Edmonton and Saskatchewan Land Company) purchased land and constructed a store, boarding house, and enormous storage barn.
Instead of going through Edmonton as planned, the Canadian Pacific Line built its railway through Calgary. The Calgary and Edmonton Railway reached "the end of steel" at [Old] Strathcona in 1891, making it the first railway to reach this area. The Canadian Northern Railway arrived in 1905 from the east through Scotford and Fort Saskatchewan. From the southeast, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway arrived in 1909, stopping at Deville, North Cooking Lake, Ardrossan, Bremner, and Clover Bar.
The allure of the land, of realizing a dream of having a home, was enough to induce individuals to abandon their homes and families. The fine black soil closest to the river attracted the early homesteader's Immigrants who arrived with a variety of life experiences, social and economic backgrounds, education, and talents, hailing from eastern Canada, the United States, and European countries. They brought blacksmithing, carpentry, and steam engineering talents with them. Many were good farmers who helped to turn this district into Alberta's dairy belt in subsequent years. Some of the early inhabitants were illiterate, while others were well-educated. Many arrived poor, while others were well-off or affluent.
The first inhabitants arrived by cart roads from Winnipeg, such as the Carlton Trail, and followed the southern side of Cooking Lake to Edmonton on the Cooking Lake Trail, which was eventually renamed the Cooking Lake Trail. Another trail, the Baseline Trail, ran east of Edmonton and angled around the north sides of Cooking and Hastings Lakes before joining the Carlton.
R.P. Ottewell of Ontario was one of the first pioneers to homestead south of the North Saskatchewan River. He chose some of the best homestead acreages in the Clover Bar district, one of the dozens who arrived after a three-month journey from Winnipeg in 1881. His little oats are produced more than 100 bushels per acre the next year. Because word spread quickly, the Clover Bar area immediately became crowded.
The first 300 settlers in the Agricola, Partridge Hills, and Good Hope regions came to South Edmonton in April 1892, led by Thomas Pearce of Parry Sound, Ontario. Mr. Pearce also cultivated near the North Saskatchewan River some good black loam. Mr. Pearce made reports for the CPR while settling settlers from Eastern Canada in the Edmonton area. The phrase "Sunny Alberta" was first used in one of these.
Meanwhile, on May 2, 1891, a wagon train carrying 53 families totalling 250 individuals arrived in Edmonton from Red Deer. They were immigrants from Galicia and Poland who spoke German. They made their homes at Josephburg and its environs.
In 1894, a group of Moravian Church adherents seeking religious independence in Canada landed in the Colchester and Ellerslie regions. They founded the Bruderfeld Church in 1895, and other Europeans soon arrived.
Areas east of the Clover Bar town were gradually filling up as the nineteenth century drew to a close. By 1900, the Bremner, Baker, and Ardrossan districts had all been populated. As more immigrants arrived, schools, churches, and stores were established, and various villages sprang up around Strathcona County.
The rustic way of life that developed in Strathcona County is placed in this setting. Individuals and families' desires for land and a new life were only welcomed if they could withstand the severe climate and hardships that came with the primitive way of life. Many strong, close-knit communities arose from a rural culture of working hard and working together. These pioneers lay the groundwork for what is now Strathcona County, a thriving and dynamic municipality.
A brief overview of government history
When the North-West Territories Government created Statute Labor & Fire District Number Two on April 14, 1893, the district in rural Strathcona County that was originally known as Clover Bar became the first rural self-governed jurisdiction in what is now Alberta. The need to safeguard property from runaway cattle and horses, as well as the threat of fire, spawned this kind of self-government. It also resulted in the construction of paths and roads to facilitate settlement.
Labour Districts were renamed Local Improvement Districts in 1903.
There were six townships totalling 216 square miles. They were renamed Local Improvement District #517 and #518 in 1912 after being expanded to nine townships. Local Improvement District No. 517 was renamed Clover Bar Municipal District in 1918, while Local Improvement District No. 518 was renamed Strathcona Municipal District. In 1943, the two municipal districts combined, forming the Municipal District of Strathcona #83.
Go back to: Edmonton Acreages for sale